We have been enjoying the "discovery" time in our marble center for a couple of weeks now. I gave a brief explanation of the materials: a bag of marbles, a red tub, a water noodle cut in half length wise, pipe cleaners, construction paper, markers, and rubber bands. The only instruction I gave them was that this was a game. They needed rules to decide on how you know you won, and how you play so the game would be fair. The next two weeks were filled with a unguided time of discovery. I watched as they slid pipe cleaners down the noodles. Then they dumped handfuls of marbles down them...I had to bite my tongue as marbles rolled across the classroom in all directions! They decided on their own that too many marbles at a time was not such a good idea! Way to go critical thinking!!!
Here is the finished product, decided by the students!
They added a start line, a finish line, a first place trophy, and a second place ribbon!
They kept score by making a T-chart with the 2 players names at the top and keep score with tally marks.
This became a "marble game" complete with rules and winners trophies. The rules were as follows:
1. There can only be 2 players
2. Roll one marble at a time
3. Whoever's marble crosses the finish line first wins!
No comments:
Post a Comment